Barcode Prints but will not Scan Correctly
The following steps offer a few possible solutions in the failure
to scan a printed barcode. If using barcode fonts to print barcodes,
please refer to the
will not Scan FAQ.
Open the appropriate
creator from the list below. Select the proper symbology, change
any necessary options, enter the data being encoded, and print the barcode
to a laser printer.
Barcode Creators: [Linear
| QR Code]
Does the barcode printed from the image generator scan?
NO, it does
- Make sure the barcode type is enabled in the barcode scanner,
then check the scanner settings for the barcode type being scanned.
Most scanners have several default settings including minimum and
maximum characters to scan as well as check digit options. Check
the barcode scanner manual for reference.
- The scanner may be defective. To eliminate this likelihood,
test the printed barcode with another scanner.
YES, it scans
- Compare the options selected in the barcode image generator
with the options selected for the product being used to print the
- Check the symbology settings such as the X dimension, bar height
and check digit requirements.
- Verify that the correct data is being passed to the barcode
and that invalid characters for the symbology are not included.
Example: do not send text to a “numbers only” symbology such as
POSTNET or Interleaved 2 of 5.
- Verify that the application is not corrupting the barcode in
some way. Compare the start and end sequence of the printed barcode
from the image generator with the barcode printing application.
In some situations, the beginning or ending of the barcode can get
truncated because of overlapping or truncated fields.
- If the barcodes are displayed in a table, verify that the barcode
image can fit in the table. When using IDAutomation web-based products
in an HTML table, it may be necessary to specify the height and
width. Example: <img width="100%"
- Verify that enough white space has been allocated before and
after the barcode. For most barcode types, the left and right margins
need to be at least 10 times the X dimension to obtain a proper
scan. 2D barcode symbols such as Data Matrix and PDF417 need white
space above and below the symbol in addition to space on the left