Streaming Barcode Images in Microsoft Report Builder
In this tutorial, the
SSRS Generator Service is used to stream linear barcodes
Builder, which is a report authoring tool included with Microsoft
SQL Server and SSRS (SQL Server Reporting Services).
This example uses
the free demo version of the SSRS Generator Service, which contains
a watermark at the bottom of the barcode symbol. The
purchased version of the script does not contain the watermark.
Barcodes can be easily implemented in a report by placing the SSRS
Generator URL into a Text Box value and setting the URL parameter
to a desired field. When the report is run, barcode images are streamed
into the report.
The unique SSRS Generator URL is obtained after purchase. To demo the
solution, the following URLs may be used for evaluation purposes only:
Report Builder Barcode Tutorial
Applications used in this Tutorial:
NOTE: The tutorial assumes Report
Builder is properly installed and that the Barcode Generator Script
is implemented and functioning. Within this tutorial, the demo version
of the SSRS Generator Service is used for evaluation purposes only.
- To run Report Builder, double-click the application icon.
- To create a new report, select New Report and then select
Table or Matrix Wizard.
- Select Create a dataset and choose Next.
- For Data Source Connections, select New.
- In the Data Source Properties, select a Name, choose a connection
type, and select Build.
- In the Connection Properties, select the Server name, and the
database. In the example, the database name is Barcode. Select
- The Connection string should include the Server name and database.
To verify the connection, select Test Connection. If the
connection string is successful, a 'Connection Created Successfully'
message will appear. Select OK.
- Once the Test connection is linked, select Next.
- The Design a query allows the user to select fields for the
- To view or edit the query, select Edit as Text. If the
report does not need a query edit, select Next.
- Choose the fields that will appear on the report. Select
- Choose a layout for the report.
- Choose a style for the report.
- To view the report, select the Run button near the top
left corner of the application.
- To return to design mode, select Design.
- Choose Insert - Text Box. Jump to Microsoft SQL Server 2014
- Drag the Text Box to the report and place it within the field
area. In the example, the Text Box is placed underneath the Number
- Select View and enable Properties.
- In the
Text Box properties, expand the BackgroundImage and complete
the following steps:
- Set the Source to External.
- Set the Value to the SSRS Generator URL and append
the desired field.
The example uses the demo URL
and sets the DataToEncode (parameter D) to the Number field:
="https://www.bcgen.com/ssrs/demo-c128.aspx?D=" & Fields!Number.Value
- A MIMEType image setting is not required.
- Set the BackgroundRepeat to Clip.
- Save the report.
- Run the report. If the Text Box does not display the full barcode
in report view, return to design mode and adjust field height and
- This example uses the demo version, which contains a watermark at the bottom of the barcode
symbol and is for evaluation purposes only. The
purchased version of the product does not contain the watermark.
Microsoft SQL Server 2014 Installation Instructions
This version requires an additional column to be added to display the
barcodes instead of adding only a text box as in the 2012 version.
- Right Click on the last column
and add a column to the right.
- Then right click in the field where the barcode is desired to
appear, select Text Box Properties..., expand the BackgroundImage
section and choose the
expression that matches the field information from the Value options.
- Now go back into that BackgroundImage Value field and change the
="https://www.bcgen.com/ssrs/demo-c128.aspx?D=" & Fields!Sku.Value
set the BackgroundRepeat field to Clip.
- Run the report and verify that the area is large enough to display the
If a scanner is needed, consider purchasing the
IDAutomation USB Barcode Scanner.
Back to Top