Free App Download:
About the App:
- Scans and decodes barcodes to verify encoded data from the camera or a saved photo.
- Identifies common 1D & 2D barcode types and provides information about the symbol.
- Parses encoded GS1 data to separate out each application identifier and element string.
- Reveals ASCII functions that cannot be printed or viewed on the screen including the FS, RS, GS, CR, HT, LF and EOT functions commonly used for ISO/IEC 15434,
DOD UID and other custom applications.
- Provides recommendations about how to generate the symbol that was scanned.
- Decodes UTF-8 in QR Code.
- Decodes and validates TLV values in QR Code.
- Detects and decodes base64 encoded data strings to text, commonly used for Arabic, ZATCA and KSA E-Invoicing.
- Verifies MOD10 check digits by showing the digit in green when required for GS1 data or ITF. Also verifies MOD43 check digits in Code 39.
- Keeps a history of scanned barcodes in a CSV file that may be shared.
- Sample symbols and decoder results are shown on the symbol scan examples page.
- The Xamarin source code for this app is available for implementation within your organization's custom app.
Barcode Types & Functions Supported:
- Code 128 with GS1-128 | GS1 AI Parser | ASCII Function Decoder
- Code 39 with MOD43 verification
- Data Matrix with GS1-DataMatrix | GS1 AI Parser | ASCII Function Decoder
- ITF with MOD10 verification
- PDF417 with ASCII Function Decoder
- QR Code with GS1-QRCode | GS1 AI Parser | ASCII Function Decoder
Decoding | Base64 Decoding | TLV Decoding
App Support (Known Issues and Solutions)
GS1 Parsing Errors
- If parsing errors occur, evaluate only the scanned data at the top of the screen which is accurate. The parsed data is calculated from the scanned data and the algorithm may not always interpret the data as desired.
Barcode is difficult to scan
- Try focusing on the barcode at a close range so that it consumes most of
the screen clearly.
- Rotate the device from portrait to landscape to give it a different perspective.
- If the barcode can be printed or displayed again, increase the X Dimension
to .1CM or 40 Mils.
- Make sure there is enough white space around
the symbol and verify the background is white and the symbol is black as shown
symbol scan examples page.
Barcode does not scan or a symbol that was scanning is not scanning anymore
- If the symbols on the
Symbol Examples page do not scan, close the app and restart it. This is
an issue on some devices that is usually solved by closing and restarting the
app. The app must be completely shut down and restarted to resolve this issue.
We are investigating this issue and will release an update when it is resolved.
GS1-128 not parsing on iOS
- GS1-128 parses properly from the camera on Android but not on iOS. We are currently investigating the issue and will provide a new release soon. Until this is resolved, take a clear photo of the symbol, save it and open it from the gallery.
Second FNC1 and GS are the same characters in Data Matrix and QR Code
- If the first character in the symbol is the FNC1, a second FNC1 will be interpreted as <GS> in Data Matrix and QR Code. This is by design in the scanner engine code. The latest recommendations from GS1 indicate that a second FNC1 or GS should be interpreted the same.
Symbol scan results in garbage characters and "Base64 Decode" is in the result
- Some symbols, especially GS1 symbols, can appear to be Base64 encoded. Disable the Base64 Decode and TLV options in the app settings to resolve this issue.
Detailed Barcode Verification Information
- This app is used to verify encoded data within the barcode, however, it is not a true barcode verifier that can assign a grading on printed symbols. If this type of service is desired, IDAutomation recommends obtaining a verifier from Barcode-Test. They also offer several barcode verification services. A verification report can provide much more detailed information about the printed symbol.
If you are experiencing an issue not mentioned above, you may view other reported issues in the Support Forum or post your own.