Software License Agreements:
- License Summary
- Application Integration Options (For developers integrating our software into their application.)
- License Agreement Change Requests (Please read this section before requesting any license agreement change.)
- IDAutomation Software License Agreement
IDAutomation offers flexible licenses to meet a variety of needs. Within the Software License Agreement several license types are offered. Below is a summary of what is offered in each license type for most products. To understand what is offered for a particular product, refer to the documentation and licensing section of the respective product.
|Optional Integration||Complete Integration||Source Code Integration|
With the Optional Integration option, IDAutomation provides support
for barcode problems related to your client's application as well as the
installation and maintenance of the barcode product provided. This is
provided to you at minimal cost and offers an additional method of increasing
revenue with the
This is how it works:
- Purchase the Single User License to test integration and create your application to access the API of the barcode product - be sure not to distribute the purchased version with your software. You may distribute the demo version if desired.
- In your documentation, inform the customer of the product number and provide a link to IDAutomation.com so they can easily order the product.
- IDAutomation offers a 20% commission for any customer of yours that orders from us this way with the IDAutomation Affiliate Program.
- When they install IDAutomation software on their system, your software should then be able to use it.
- IDAutomation will also assist the customer if they have problems installing the product.
- If this option is selected, please contact us and we will make sure not to change the font name or API of the component.
Developer License, IDAutomation software products may be distributed with your application as long as you have bundled the software component with the application and are not distributing it separately.
Here is how it works:
- Order the applicable Developer License of the product. IDAutomation strongly suggests ordering the Priority Support and Upgrade Subscription, to extend past the complimentary 30 days. Independent contractors, consultants and small companies with less than 2 million USD in annual revenue may obtain the Small Company Developer License at an approximate 50% discount from the normal price.
- Integrate the product into your software and update the documentation if necessary. You will use and distribute the products an integrated part of your application according to the Developer License of the product.
- You provide support to the customer for barcode issues and will be responsible for the installation of all barcode products related to your application.
- For problems you are unable to resolve, your developers may contact IDAutomation for support, but we cannot provide support directly to your clients.
- Order the applicable Multi-Site License or Unlimited Developer License for the product. IDAutomation strongly suggests ordering the Priority Support and Upgrade Subscription, priced at just a small fraction of the cost of the product annually.
- Several of the Unlimited Developer Licensed products already contain source code. If additional source code is needed, submit a request by email referencing your order number.
- Integrate the product into your software and update the documentation if necessary. You will use and distribute the products and source code royalty-free as an integrated part of your application.
- You provide support to the customer for barcode issues and are responsible for the installation of all barcode products related to your application.
- For problems you are unable to resolve, your developers may contact IDAutomation for support. However, we cannot provide support directly to your clients.
IDAutomation products may not be distributed outside your organization without a Developer License. If you have any questions or need assistance, please contact us.
We believe that IDAutomation license agreements as they are written now are fair for IDAutomation and the purchaser. IDAutomation is a small company (under 2MM in annual revenue) which must have protection from legal issues that could jeopardize the business. IDAutomation is aware that some other companies will honor such requests. Many of these companies are based in China, Russia or another country and do not have an actual presence in the US as their websites state. Some of these companies copy IDAutomation products, make changes, and sell them as their own. Most of these company websites state they are based in USA or Canada and have fake addresses with forwarded phone numbers or use "address forwarding" or "business presence" services. It is very unlikely that these companies would be able to follow through with any legal claims; therefore, making a license agreement change with them would be useless.
Changes to Benefit Licensee:
Any UDL (Unlimited Developer License) or MSL (Multi-Site License) automatically includes additional benefits to the Licensee, without any modifications to the license agreement. This benefit includes the ownership of derivative works, source code provision, license transfers, unlimited indemnification, and unlimited liability.
Below is a list of previously requested modifications and the reasons IDAutomation cannot agree to the changes:
Indemnification - indemnification as related to the intellectual property of the software product is included in the license agreement. It states "IDAutomation shall defend, indemnify and hold Licensee harmless from any third-party claims or lawsuits for intellectual property infringement for properly licensed Software provided by IDAutomation...". The indemnification section also states that "IDAutomation is not liable for claims based on infringement of industry standards, symbology standards or public domain specifications which were not developed by IDAutomation (including but not limited to operating systems, file formats and symbology specifications)". This limitation is necessary because as a small company, IDAutomation should not be required to defend a technology it did not create. Examples of such claims include encoding tiny URLs in QR-Code and the patent claims by Unisys for the use of GIF files (which expired in 2003) and the Data Matrix patent claims by Acacia and Veritec (which were ruled invalid and unenforceable in 2008). Many, if not all, of the standards and specifications that would apply today are in the public domain or are unenforceable because of prior art, and the inventors of the technologies will not provide indemnification for their use. In all such cases reported to IDAutomation by licensed customers, an alternative with no loss of functionality was provided by IDAutomation.
Limitation of Liability - our license agreement states "With the exception of (1) claims relating to intellectual property infringement as defined in section 6 or (2) Software purchased with the Unlimited Developer License or the Multi-Site License, IDAutomation's entire liability under any provision of this entire Agreement shall be limited to twenty (20) times the amount actually paid by Licensee" This limitation is eliminated when the Multi-Site License or the Unlimited Developer License is purchased.
Warranty - our license agreement states "Although efforts have been made to assure that the Software is date compliant, correct, reliable, and technically accurate, the Software is licensed to you as is and without warranties as to performance of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose or use, or any other warranties whether expressed or implied. You, your organization and all users of the Software, assume all risks when using it." We are unwilling to make any other warranties for the software. This is a standard practice in the software industry.
Controlling Law - we believe our license agreement is written to be fair and unbaised for any state of the USA and any country. As a small company, IDAutomation cannot change the location of governing law or the jurisdiction from our location to another. This is primarily because IDAutomation is a small company and if any case would arise outside of our location, it would cause major disruption to the local operations of the company. Additionally, IDAutomation does not have attorneys on staff to understand the laws of other states and countries.
Amendments - IDAutomation believes the agreement as it exists covers all that is necessary and we should remain silent on other issues. IDAutomation does not believe any additions are necessary. However, IDAutomation understands that minor changes to IDAutomation's Software License Agreements may need be made by an amendment in special circumstances. To request a change, modify the IDAutomationAmendmentTemplate.doc file and email it to IDAutomation for review. Be sure to describe your implementation of the software and the reasons for the change. When we do amendments, we require the purchase of the applicable Multi-Site License or the Unlimited Developer License for the product. In addition, the changes should be 50 words or less.