Streaming Barcode Images into SAP Crystal Reports
Barcodes may be easily placed in SAP Crystal Reports versions XI and above (including SAP Crystal Reports for Enterprise) with IDAutomation's Dynamic Barcode Generator Service. When using this service to stream barcodes into reports, there are no additional products to install. The only requirement is that all machines generating reports need access to the Internet or the server generating the barcodes, which may be installed on an Intranet or the report generator itself.
Multiple barcode symbologies are provided by the service, including Code 128, Code 39, GS1 DataBar, USPS Intelligent Mail IMb, UPC, Data Matrix, PDF417, QR-Code and much more.
Streaming Dynamic Barcode Tutorial
- In the report, choose Insert >
OLE Object. Enterprise users select Insert >
- Select Bitmap Image from the dialogue box and click
If the "Bitmap Image" option does not appear, such as if a SAP Crystal Reports 2013 or Enterprise user:
(1) Right-click and save this crystal-barcode-image.jpg file to the hard drive as the default image to show.
(2) Repeat Step-1 and choose Create from File.
(3) Select the crystal-barcode-image.jpg file saved from above.
- Position the object in the report. (NOTE:
When the object is dropped onto the report designer, the object may
be in Edit Mode. Simply click off of the object to return to
- Select the object and click on Format Graphic from
the file menu. Enterprise users right-click on the image and select Format
- On the Common tab, ensure the "Can Grow" option is enabled
with a checkmark in the box as shown below:
- On the Picture tab, ensure the Scaling Width and Height are at 100% and
then click on the Graphic
Location formula icon as shown below:
- In the Formula Window that appears, enter the
streaming barcode service URL
and append the appropriate parameters to ensure the JPEG file type is
created, including the field that needs to be encoded and any other necessary
- Save and Close the Format Function window. The Print Preview feature will
reveal the barcode streamed into the report. If the barcode does not appear,
ensure the URL is correct (step 7 above) and ensure the PC running the report
has access to the Internet.
When streaming barcodes on very large reports, latency may cause a slight
slow-down in report generation. If the issue is still experienced, consider
implementing one of the products listed below on your intranet, or on the report
generator itself to reduce
- ASPX Barcode Generation Script
- Java Barcode Servlet
- PHP Barcode Generation Script
- Streaming Barcode Server for IIS
Additionally, many other Crystal Barcode Integration options are available that do not have latency issues.