Claris FileMaker Barcode Custom Functions
- Generate barcodes in FileMaker Pro Advanced with fonts and custom functions - no plug-ins or scripts required.
- Embeds the font encoder as a custom function directly within the database file.
- Supports the Universal Barcode Font, a single font that generates many barcode types and provides cross-platform compatibility between Windows, Mac, Linux and mobile devices.
- Creates many barcode types including Code 128, GS1-128, Code 39, Interleaved 2 of 5, Code 93, MSI, Codabar, UPC & EAN.
- Free to use with the evaluation or purchased version of any IDAutomation barcode font.
- Compatible with FileMaker Pro Advanced and FileMaker Go versions 12 and up for Windows, Mac, iPhone and iPad, 32 and 64 bit. Previous versions of FileMaker, such as 10, 11 and earlier, should use the barcode plugin.
NOTE: Download example is formatted for Universal Barcode Fonts, but includes additional custom functions for individual font packages as well
IDAutomation's Font Encoder Functions for FileMaker format the data that needs to be encoded in the barcode to the font, so when the font is applied a correct barcode will be generated. Unlike plugins, custom functions are cross-platform compatible and remain embedded in the database, even when distributed.
If the database is being distributed to multiple devices, the appropriate barcode font must also be installed on each device. IDAutomation also offers the Native Barcode Generator for FileMaker, which allows distribution to multiple devices without the need to distribute fonts.
Download and extract the IDAutomation_FileMakerFontEncoderFunctions file
from the FileMaker Font Encoder Function Download Package. Example is formatted
- Install the desired barcode font. Mac users should use the Universal Barcode Font with the appropriate "Uni" Function to avoid compatibility issues with character sets.
Open the database that is to generate the barcode and choose File - Manage
- Custom Functions.
Choose Import and then select the
that was extracted in Step 1.
Select all functions in this database by pressing Ctrl-A and the space bar. It is necessary to select
all of the functions because several of the functions depend on others to be
Choose File - Manage Database to create a calculated field that will contain the barcode.
Name the field to be the same as the related function name, without the
underscores and click Create. In this example, the field will be named
IDAutomationUniCode128 and it will call the
IDAutomation_Uni_Code128 function, which creates Code 128
with the Universal Barcode Font.
- Scroll down the list of functions and double-click on the IDAutomation_Uni_Code128 function to have the function appear in the formula box.
- Replace "DataToEncode" with the field that is to be encoded in the barcode from the Current Table options. Be sure to delete the parenthesis.
- Select TEXT as the Calculation Result and click
Combining Multiple Fields
Combining multiple fields into a single barcode is easily
achieved when ApplyTilde is enabled. For example,
the following would encode "File" <Return> "Maker" <Tab> "Pro":
IDAutomation_Uni_C128 ("File~013Maker~009Pro" & "|1")
Combining two data fields with a tab between:
IDAutomation_Uni_C128 (Field_1 & "~009" & Field_2 & "|1")
Some of the functions have multiple parameters. When this occurs, use the '|' (pipe) as the dividing character for these additional parameters. If the additional parameters are omitted, defaults will be used.
- DataToEncode: A string value
that represents the data that is being encoded. Within FileMaker,
fields may be specified directly and text should be represented
in double-quotes. Additional parameters are optional and are separated
with the "|" pipe character.
Standard encoding: IDAutomation_Code128(Field_1)
Encoding GS1-128: IDAutomation_Uni_C128("~212" & GS1_Data_Field & "|1")
- N_Dimension: Determines the
width of the wide bars, which is a multiple of the X dimension.
The X dimension is determined by the font point size. Valid values are 2, 2.5 and 3. The default is 2.
- Example: IDAutomation_Uni_C39(Field_1 & "|3")
- IncludeCheckDigit: If
this value is 1, a check digit will be calculated automatically
and included in the barcode, if appropriate, for the chosen symbology.
Universal Font Example: IDAutomation_Uni_C39(Field_1 & "|3|1")
- Example: IDAutomation_Code39Mod43(Field_1)
- ApplyTilde: In IDAutomation_Uni_C128 and
ApplyTilde option is set to 0, the tilde will be not evaluated. The default
value is "1" enabled.
- Be sure that the barcode fits in the targeted field. If the printed barcode cannot be accurately read with a barcode scanner, the barcode may be too wide for the field. This can result in truncation of the symbol.
- If numbers appear instead of text for a barcode field, ensure that the TEXT option is selected in the Calculation Result drop-down box as is outlined above.
- Additional problems and solutions are provided at IDAutomation's barcode font technical support site and by searching resolved public FileMaker forum threads. Priority phone, email, and forum support are provided up to 30 days after purchase. Additional support is available as long as the Priority Support and Upgrade Subscription is active.