Barcode Image Generator Manual
IDAutomation's Barcode Image Generator is used to create barcode image files and paste barcodes into Windows® and Mac® applications. It is commonly used with desktop publishing and design applications including Adobe InDesign, FrameMaker, Photoshop, PageMaker, Microsoft Publisher, Word and Quark XPress.
- Generating and Saving an Image File
- Pasting Barcodes into Applications
- Saving and Loading the Settings XML File
- Creating Multiple Barcodes from a Text File
- Creating Image Files from the Command-Line or DOS Prompt
- Adjusting the Properties of the Barcode
- QR Code Image Generator
- Technical Support
- Video Tutorials
- USB Barcode Scanner
If it is necessary to create barcode labels (instead of
image files), IDAutomation recommends the
Barcode Label Software,
which generates labels dynamically from incremented fields, lists or a database.
Image Generator Tutorial
Windows System Installation:
The Windows version is compatible with any Windows operating system that includes the Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 or greater including Windows 2000, XP, Windows 7, 8 and 10.
- Download and unzip the package to a folder on a local hard drive. It is recommended to download and install WinZip if a program is not available to open WinZip files.
- Run Setup.Exe to start the install utility.
- If a message is generated indicating that the Microsoft® .NET Framework must first be installed, do so and run Setup again. The .NET Framework may be installed by running Windows Update from a computer connected to the Internet or it may be downloaded.
Mac System Installation:
The Mac version is compatible with any OS X version that includes Java 1.6 or greater.
- Drag the application from the download to the applications folder.
- The application will launch when it is double-clicked.
- Because this product does not install any DLLs or other components in the system directories, it may be easily installed and used from a network or a mapped drive.
- Run Setup.Exe to start the install utility.
- When prompted for the location, select the network drive and complete the install process.
- Create shortcuts on other computers that need to run the application.
- If errors occur on other computers, try performing the steps outlined in the document about setting security rights for .NET applications.
- Ensure there is a license for each user that has access to the software.
- Image Generator properties, such as DataToEncode, Symbology, Bar Height, and Captions, may be saved and loaded from an XML file.
- Choose File from the menu.
- To save the property settings, select Save Generator Values and create a file name.
- To load saved property settings, select Load Generator Values and select the XML file.
- Loading the values may also be performed from the command line.
- Save and load property values from XML file training video.
Creating and Saving Barcode Images
- Choose the Copy to Clipboard button.
- In the application, choose Edit - Paste or press CRTL-V (Mac users choose Opt-V). If the image does not paste into the application correctly, try saving the image first and then import it from the application.
- Choose the Generate Image File button.
- In the Save as type dialog box, choose the image type to create. The most common image type to create for importing into other applications, such as Photoshop, is JPEG or EPS. The recommended image type to use for a website is PNG. NOTE: Only the Mac version supports EPS.
- The File name dialog is automatically generated to be unique, however it may be changed if necessary.
Text files containing multiple values may be easily loaded into the Image Generator to generate multiple image files.
- Choose File - Create Multiple Barcodes from the menu.
- Select a text file containing data values. Each line in the text
file will generate one image file encoding the text on that line.
The default image extension can be modified by designating the image type in the data file. For example, if you need the first two images to be .jpeg and the last three images to be .png, you would put the following information into the data file:
And following image files would be created, where it would have the image number, data encoded and the DPI of the image:
- Barcode image files will be created in the directory where the data file resides.
- This option may also be performed from the command line in the Windows version.
- Create multiple barcode training video.
- NOTE: this option is not available in the Mac version
- Open the Image Generator and change any properties
as necessary. The image created will use the properties that were last set
and only the data encoded in the barcode will change. After the properties
are set, close the Image Generator. From the Windows command prompt or DOS
command line, the following parameters are available to create image files:
[ DataToEncode ] [ Optional file path, file name.ImageType ]
[ LoadValues+XML Settings File+DataToEncode+File Path, File Name.ImageType ]
(the LoadValues option is only available in Version 2010 or later)
The following example generates a JPEG file in the current directory:
"Image Generator.exe" 123456789012
The result would be an image file named 123456789012.jpeg
An example that generates a 1 bit monochrome bitmap file in a specified directory with a specified file name would contain the following in a batch file:
"Image Generator.exe" 123456789012 C:\Windows\Temp\TestFile.1bmp
The following types of files may be created: jpeg, gif, tiff, png, bmp, wmf or 1bmp (1 bit per pixel bitmap)
In Version 2010 and greater, additional parameters may be specified to load values from a saved xml file.
"Image Generator.exe" Loadvalues+C:\Temp\FileName.xml+123456789012+C:\Temp\TestFile.gif
- NOTE: this option is not available in the Mac version.
- Multiple image files may be generated from a batch file, a text file or dynamically with an external program that makes a call to the application such as HP SmartStream Designer.
- The following example loads an XML property file and creates multiple
barcodes from lines of data in a text file. Each line in the text file contains
the data that is to be encoded; each line will create a separate barcode.
"Image Generator.exe" Loadvalues+C:\Temp\FileName.xml+Createbarcodes+C:\Temp\DataFile.txt
- The following is a batch file example that makes multiple sequential
images with a loop:
CALL "Image Generator.exe" %Prefix%%Start%
echo Created image for value %Prefix%%Start%
if %Start%==%Stop% goto Exit
SET /A Start=Start+%IncrementBy%
Several barcode related properties are available to meet various specifications and applications. The unit of measure (when applicable) may be changed by choosing Edit - Set unit of measure. The default unit of measurement is inches.
Free product support may be obtained by reviewing the knowledgebase articles that are documented below and by searching resolved public forum threads. Priority phone, email and forum support is provided up to 30 days after purchase. Additional priority phone, email and forum support may be obtained if the Priority Support and Upgrade Subscription is active.
Common Issues and Solutions:
- Extra character appended to Codabar or Code 39 barcode
- Barcode image is too large after it is generated
- How to create a DataBar Coupon Barcode
- Barcode Image Generator application will not open
- Error messages appear when generating an image file
- Barcode prints but will not scan (or scan correctly)
- Barcode does not paste accurately into Photoshop and can not be scanned
- Barcode image is too large after it is created
- Cannot adjust X dimension accurately when creating low-resolution images
- If errors are received after installation that are not documented here when starting the application, try to reinstall the Microsoft® .NET Framework. In some cases, the .NET Framework gets corrupted and reinstalling it may resolve these issues. Information about the .NET Framework is located here.
Popular Forum Post Resolutions:
- Create a GS1-128 Barcode
- Create ITF-14 Barcodes
- Create an SSCC18 Barcode
- Create a Data Matrix HIBC Lot and Serial Number
- Create a Data Matrix HIBC LIC Serial Number
- Create a Data Matrix HIBC LIC with Data Identifiers
- Create Barcode for Certified Mail PS Form 3800
- Create Multiple Images at the Same Time
- Image Generator for Mac does not have a Caption Option
- 'App' is damaged and can't be opened on Mac
- Extra Characters at the End of the Barcode when Scanned
- Manually Switch Character Sets for Code 128
- Software is Stuck in the Task Bar and will not Open
- How to Check the Version Number of the Image Generator
- Step-by-Step Tutorial
- Create GS1-128 Compliant Barcode
- Save & Load Property Values from XML File
- Create Multiple Barcodes
- Create ISBN Barcodes with OCR Fonts
- Create a VCARD with QR-Code Generator
- Create a MECARD with QR-Code Generator
- Encode a Tab or FNC in a Code 128 Barcode
- Encode a Tab or FNC in a PDF417 Barcode
- Encode a Tab or FNC in other 2D Barcodes