The IDAutomation USB Barcode Scanner with DataBar is a
high-quality CCD reader that offers laser scanner performance. This model scans linear barcodes, as well as all Code 128, Code 39, UPC, EAN, POS, PDF417, and GS1 DataBar symbologies. The built-in decoder may be programmed to emulate function keys and has the ability to decode the FNC1 codes in GS1-128 barcodes according to the Application Identifier Standard.
- 2010 GS1 Sunrise and RoHS
- Capable of reading barcodes from flat-screen monitors.
- Lightweight with a comfortable hand-held design, these scanners outperform other scanners in quality, range, and performance.
- Compatible with Windows (including Windows 10 & 11), Mac, and Linux, as well as tablets with USB connectivity.
- Plug 'n Play, one-step installation without powering down; power is supplied by the USB connection.
- Emits a high-intensity red aiming beam with a built-in decoder, which sends data to the PC as if the barcode is typed in from the keyboard.
- Can be programmed to scan function keys from barcodes, and decode lower ASCII characters.
- Provided with free barcode label software and barcode font as a separate download after purchase.
- Decodes Code 128, Code 39, Code 93, UPC, EAN, Codabar, ITF, DataBar, MSI, and 2D PDF417 symbols.
- A printed manual is included.
- All orders will be shipped by the next business day following order placement.
- Shipping is available for the continental United States only, no international shipping is available.
- Ground Shipping Map for this item; Priority shipping available.
- 1-year warranty. Extend the warranty to 3 years with priority support that can be purchased at the time of order.
- Purchase risk-free; this product is provided with a 30-day unconditional money-back guarantee.
IDAutomation USB Barcode Scanner
"The wider field of this scanner picks up our narrower bar codes a lot easier, we had several Symbol laser units deployed but we had trouble with smaller barcodes under certain lighting conditions or less than ideal scanning conditions (plastic bags etc). Net result is less work per scan on average."
- Nate Chadwick, Director of Technology, ProMedDx, LLC, Norton, MA
This durable and ergonomically designed USB barcode scanner is the best value handheld in its class. It offers the performance of a laser scanner with no moving parts to wear out at a lower cost. The CCD scan engine can read smaller barcodes better than many laser scanners and still read large barcodes. It scans linear bar codes that are up to 4.2" wide from near contact to about 10" away at 200 scans per second. To integrate this scanner with an application, refer to IDAutomation's document about how to scan data into applications.
- Peter Landry, PLEXUS Corporation, Providence, RI
- Performance: This product outperforms others priced below $200 in quality, range, and performance. Unlike many low-cost scanners, it quickly and easily decodes barcodes at various angles and distances using patented technology.
- Long Range Scanning and Focus: Average size bar codes are easily decoded when pulling the trigger anywhere from 4" to 8" away. Many other low-cost barcode readers require pulling the trigger at precise distances from the barcode.
- Ergonomically Designed: It is lightweight and designed to fit comfortably in the hand for extended periods of usage.
- Projection Modes: This model features both handheld and fixed projection modes, as well as long-range activation and an adjustable stand (optional) for automated operation.
- Function Key Emulation Mode: The built-in decoder may be programmed to emulate function keys as well as other keys such as PgUp, PgDn, Backspace, Tab, Enter, Esc, Insert, Delete, Home, and End. To activate this ability, simply enable "Function Key Emulation Mode" by scanning the appropriate barcode in the manual. When enabled, lower ASCII codes in the Code 128 barcode will simulate pressing this key on the keyboard. For example, an ASCII 23 (0x17 in the manual) digit encoded in a barcode will send the same codes to the computer as if the F7 function key was depressed. Because the scanner manual only lists hexadecimal numbers, refer to the ASCII chart for conversions.
- GS1-128 (UCC/EAN-128) Decoding: This scanner has the ability to decode the FNC1 codes in GS1-128 (UCC/EAN-128) barcodes according to the Application Identifier Standard.
- Decodes Lower ASCII Characters: This scanner is compatible with IDAutomation's Barcode Scanner ASCII String Decoder when Function Key Emulation is disabled.
- Free software included: With each purchase of this product, a license is provided for the use of IDAutomation's Free Barcode Font, Free Barcode Label Design Application, and the Barcode Scanner ASCII String Decoder. Generally, these products may only be used by non-profit organizations. However, when this product is purchased from IDAutomation, a license is granted without this limitation according to the license agreement. The software may be downloaded once the purchase is completed.
- A printed programming manual is provided with the SC5
scanner, as well as a PDF version. The SC1500 scanner is provided as a PDF only because it reads directly off the screen very well.
If any difficulty is encountered in scanning barcodes from the PDF,
ensure the PDF is being viewed at 100% or print the pages of the
manual that needs to be scanned.
- Scanner Links and Videos:
- Supported 1D symbologies (barcode types) include GS1 DataBar 14, DataBar Truncated, DataBar Stacked, DataBar Stacked Omni-directional, DataBar Limited, DataBar Expanded, DataBar Expanded Stacked Omni-directional, GS1-128, Code 39, Full ASCII Code 39, UPC-A, UPC-E, EAN-13, EAN-8, Code 128, UCC/EAN 128, Interleaved 2 of 5, Codabar, MSI Plessey, Industrial 2 of 5, Code 93, UPC/EAN with an addendum.
"I am very pleased with my purchase; this low cost scanner is comparable to the higher priced scanners in the market. Our company’s efficiency has increased by using your product, we are now able to use bar coded data from a fixed workstation. The IDAutomation Plug n’ Play scanner, I would recommend it to everyone. Thank you for an excellent overall experience with your company."
– William T. Speckman – IT Manager Ecce Panis, Inc. East Brunswick, NJ
Scanner Test Results:
This scanner also outperforms many other low-priced CCD scanners and offers performance equal to many laser scanners that are priced much more. This barcode reader easily decoded IDAutomation's Code 39 barcode font when printed as small as 6 points (4 mils) and as large as 48 points (32 mils), as well as any size between. Unlike other low-cost CCD scanners, the scanner focuses very well on barcodes and even reads poorly printed barcodes.
Programming the USB Barcode Scanner:
"We purchased the SC5USB Scanner because of a combination of price, historically demonstrated performance, reliability and IDAutomation's reputation for good customer and technical support."
- Michael Harvey, Worldwide Entertainment Ventures, Tampa FL
The Hand Held USB Scanner is ready to use out of the box in most situations. By default, the common barcode types such as Code-39, Code-128, UPC, and EAN are enabled. The manual provided with the scanner is structured well; it allows the ability to program the scanner by scanning barcodes in the manual. Video on Programming a Symbology to Read.
Several scan mode options can be set, as well as the ability to add preamble, prefix, suffix, or postamble data. By default, this scanner has the suffix of 0D, which inserts a carriage return after the barcode is scanned. To disable this, program the suffix string setting to 00 (for null) or 09 for a tab. Video on Using the String Setting Feature to Program a Tab.
The SC5-USB Scanner also includes advanced options, such as the ability to scan function keys from a barcode and the reading of GS1-128 (UCC/EAN-128) FNC1 and FNC2 codes. When Function Key Emulation is disabled, the scanner is fully compatible with IDAutomation's Barcode Scanner ASCII String Decoder, which reveals hidden ASCII codes such as <GS> and <RS>.
Truly "plug and play" scanner
I have recently purchased the IDAutomation Barcode Scanner and have been exceedingly happy with the quality of the product. It is one of the only products that I can remember that is truly "plug and play." I know programming well, but my barcode knowledge is far from vast. Your company made it possible for my idea to work, and so far everything is going well. Thank you for your product, and more importantly for your quality knowledge of and attention to your customers.
Works exactly as detailed and very user friendly.
What Really Sold Me Is Your Customer Service
When our division at the University of Utah began to use barcode scanners, I was given a model which required batteries and was very clumsy to use. As I researched potential new scanners I found a recommendation for your SC 5 USB-D scanner. It is reasonably priced and is USB powered. Just what I was looking for. The SC5 works beautifully and reads our codes rapidly with no with problems whatsoever. I like it so much thatI have replaced another scanner in our lab with the SC5. The scanner is perfect for our application and even reads barcodes on vials stored at –80°F. But what has really sold me on IDAutomation is your customer service. My emails and calls for help have always been answered quickly, and have never failed to answer my questions. In short I couldn’t be more pleased with my scanner, IDAutomation, and your customer service.
Plug and Play - just plug it in and start scanning
Barcode reader works great and this LED scanner is more durable as it does not have moving parts like with laser scanners. True Plug and Play - just plug it in and start scanning. We can scan barcodes off our computer screens as orders are processed with shipping tracking numbers.
Plug and Play - could not have been easier.
This CCD hand held barcode scanner inputs the ISBN barcode into my Readerware software as fast as I can move the book out of the way to scan the next barcoded book. Even smeared symbols and partially scratched out symbols scanned just as fast as far as I could tell. Any delay in capturing a reading responded to correcting the distance immediately. The stand for the scanner is very handy and also was a very worthwhile/cost effective purchase. It fits the ergonomics of our work station(s) which are table and desk, seated and standing.