All orders include automatic registration and lifetime Level 1 support and include one incident of Level 2 support for a period of 30 days. Level 2 support and upgrades may be provided beyond 30 days if the Level 2 Support and Upgrade Subscription is purchased when making the order.
This Scanner Decoder reveals hidden, non-printable ASCII characters and commands from keyboard emulation devices, such as USB Barcode Scanners.
- Reveals hidden ASCII codes in scanned barcodes.
- Decodes any device that performs keyboard emulation.
- Reveals common codes such as <FS>, <RS>, <GS>, <CR>, <LF> and <EOT>.
- Useful for verifying the encoding of all GS1, UPS MaxiCode Labels, DOD UID Marking Symbols, and ISO/IEC 15434 Barcodes.
- Includes a Windows application and an Excel version that runs on the Mac.
- Site License and above includes VBA Source Code for the Excel UserForm App and also the Windows application written in VB 6.
- This is the only product that can decode ASCII from USB scanners. IDAutomation also offers the Barcode Data Decoder Verifier App that decodes ASCII from symbols directly.
- This Barcode Scanner ASCII String Decoder may be used for free by individuals and organizations that have gross annual revenue of less than $500,000 USD or are classified as nonprofit for tax purposes, excluding government and military organizations. For details, review the free product section of the License Agreement. Larger organizations must purchase to be properly licensed.
Source code to this application, written in VBA for Excel and VB 6, is provided by request with a Developer License purchase of any IDAutomation Product and an active support subscription.
- Refer to the free product section of the License Agreement to determine if a license purchase is needed.
- All orders include automatic registration and lifetime Level 1 support and include one incident of Level 2 support for a period of 60 days. Level 2 support and upgrades may be provided beyond 60 days if the Level 2 Support and Upgrade Subscription is purchased when placing the order.
- Purchase risk-free; this product is provided with a 30-day unconditional money-back guarantee.
- Receive a 30% discount on Developer Licenses when you submit a Small Company Agreement. To qualify, your organization must have a gross annual revenue or funding of less than $2 Million USD.
Overview and Tutorial
The Barcode Scanner ASCII String Decoder is a software application that decodes and reveals hidden, non-printable ASCII characters and commands from keyboard emulation devices, such as USB Barcode Scanners. The application is compatible with Windows 7 and greater including Windows 10. An Excel UserForm App is also provided which runs on any Mac or Windows version 2010 or greater including local versions of Office 365.
It is useful in verifying commands such as FS, RS, GS, and EOT that are encoded in barcodes because they are not normally revealed when the barcode is scanned. Symbols that include these characters include all GS1 symbols that encode a second FNC1 and UPS MaxiCode, FedEx PDF417, DOD UID, and other ISO/IEC 15434 Formats.
This product is easy to use. After installing the application, ensure the cursor is in the top text box. When the cursor is in this field, any input from keyboard emulation devices is duplicated in the lower text box. Information that is not normally visible is displayed between greater-than and less-than signs (tags) according to the ASCII function or value.
Free product support may be obtained by reviewing public forum threads. Priority Support is provided for this software with the purchase of any IDAutomation product while the applicable Priority Support is active.
- The Excel UserForm App ignores the following codes:
This is a limitation of Excel and not the app itself. If it is necessary to verify these codes, the Windows application must be used.
- Scanners that have Function Key Emulation enabled by default (such as the IDAutomation USB Scanner) will not decode lower ASCII characters until this feature is disabled. To disable this feature on the IDAutomation SC5USB Scanner, refer to the Keyboard Wedge and USB Keyboard Emulation section of the programming manual.
- With some scanners, the lower ASCII option must be enabled in
the scanner manufacturer or refer to the appropriate user manual
for details. To enable this option in the
USB 2D Barcode Imager, scan the barcode below:
- Most barcode scanners include an ASCII 13 or <CR> command that may appear after the scanned data. If desired, this command may be disabled by removing or reassigning the suffix character to 00 which is the "null" character.
Note: This is the only product that can decode ASCII from USB scanners. IDAutomation also offers the Barcode Data Decoder Verifier App that decodes ASCII from symbols directly.
Source code to this application, written in VBA for Excel and VB 6, is provided by request with a Developer License purchase of any IDAutomation product and an active support subscription.