All orders include automatic registration and lifetime Level 1 support and include one incident of Level 2 support for a period of 60 days. Level 2 support and upgrades may be provided beyond 60 days if the Level 2 Support and Upgrade Subscription is purchased when making the order.
- This single Barcode Font Package generates all USPS Intelligent Mail barcodes including IMb Tracing, IMpb, IM Tray Labels, OneCode Confirm, and ACS, Postnet and the IM Container Barcode.
- Over 30 font encoders are provided to format data to the fonts.
- Includes a code-128 font that is used to generate the IMpb Packing Barcode, Intelligent Mail Container Barcode, and the GS1-128 Delivery Confirmation Barcode.
- Examples for FileMaker, Word, Excel, Access and Crystal Reports are included.
- Includes a Crystal Reports Formula which may be easily applied to a report.
- Multiple font types are included in the package, such as Digitally Signed TrueType, OpenType, PostScript and PCL fonts.
- Applicable OCR-A and FIM fonts are also included in this package.
- With a purchase of the Developer License or above:
- Web Fonts are included in WOFF, EOT and SVG formats to easily display barcodes in any web browser.
- A silent installation executable is included with source set up to create custom installations.
- Source code in C# and VB.NET compatible with Standard, Core and Framework.
- Refer to Section 1 of the License Agreement to determine the correct license needed and the chart below to see what is included with each license.
- All orders include automatic registration and lifetime Level 1 support and include one incident of Level 2 support for a period of 60 days. Level 2 support and upgrades may be provided beyond 60 days if the Level 2 Support and Upgrade Subscription is purchased when making the order.
- Purchase risk-free; this product is provided with a 30-day unconditional money-back guarantee.
- An evaluation version is also available by download for testing purposes. The evaluation version must be removed before installing the purchased version.
- The applicable Small or Mid-Size Company Agreement must be completed first in order to receive the
Details for the Intelligent Mail Font Package
The Intelligent Mail barcode (IMb) is a tracing, routing, sorting and tracking symbology type based on the 4-State symbology that is used for services including OneCode Confirm & OneCode ACS. This IMb barcode is also referred to as the OneCode Solution, 4-State Customer Barcode, USPS4CB and 4-CB. Details of the package are as follows:
This font package allows generation of all barcodes used by the USPS in a variety of operating systems, environments and applications. All barcode fonts require special formatting so that the data will create a readable barcode when the font is applied. Over 30 royalty-free font encoder tools, macros and plug-ins are provided to complete this automatically.
Encoding Tools Provided:
Many font encoder tools are available to assist with application integration. These encoders automatically format the start, stop and check characters to the data-to-encode to generate a readable barcode from a font. To create a single barcode, consider the Font Encoder Software Application.
- User Tools:
- Developer Tools: (included in all Developer Licenses and above)
Industry Standard Support:
"We chose this product because of clearly presented product descriptions and availability of macros to help with check digits etc. We can now use the barcode fonts in our packaging designs instead of creating a graphic and placing it in the documents manually. It's much faster and more reliable."
- Joseph Wood, Vernon Communication, Elmhurst, IL
- Intelligent Mail IMb Capability:
- The encoding in IDAutomation's IMb fonts
allows printing of Intelligent Mail and Postnet barcodes from the same font.
Video: Generate Postal Barcodes from Postnet Fonts
- The encoding in IDAutomation's IMb fonts allows printing of Intelligent Mail and Postnet barcodes from the same font.
- OCR-A Barcodes Included:
- OCR-A is included to automate mail routing in cases when the printed barcode is damaged or unreadable.
- Code-128 Font Included:
- Canada Post Support:
- IDAutomationC128L font also produces the dimensions required by the CANADA POST.
- Legacy Fonts: Postnet, Planet and FIM fonts are provided in the Legacy Fonts folder of the package.
- Multiple Fonts Provided: Multiple font versions are provided in this package to support various applications, implementations and printers.
"I can print USPS barcodes on our newsletter mailing labels directly from our database, export data to the SmartAddresser 2020 software and qualify for Automation rates when mailing newsletters."
- John Langer, USCWM, Pasadena CA
Included with the purchase of a Developer License:
- With the purchase of a Developer License, complete native source code to the Intelligent Mail (IMb) and GS1-128 font encoders are provided in Visual Basic VBA, C++, C#.NET and Java.
- A silent installation executable is included with source set up to create custom installations.
- With a purchase of the Developer License or above, Web Fonts are included in WOFF, EOT and SVG formats to easily display barcodes in any web browser.
Implementing USPS Barcode Symbologies
Several postal barcode implementation examples are provided with the Windows installation executable file included in the package. These examples may be helpful to assist with initial set up. Additionally, many of IDAutomation's Font Encoders that are royalty-free include tutorials for the postal barcodes.
Obtaining Data to Encode
The first step in creating any USPS barcode is to obtain the data that is to be encoded from a font encoder. The links below will provide the information necessary to create a string of text that may be encoded in a function.
- The IntelligentMail() function uses the IDAutomationIMB font to generate the Intelligent Mail Barcode (IMb). This barcode type combines Postnet zip code data and Planet tracking into one compact symbol. It is also referred to as the IMb Tracing Barcode, the 4-State Customer Barcode (4CB), OneCode Confirm and OneCode ACS.
- The Code128() function uses the IDAutomationC128L font for the IM Container Barcode, Intelligent Mail Package Barcode (IMpb), IM Tray Labels and special services such as delivery confirmation.
- The Postnet() function uses the IDAutomationPOSTNET font to encode the zip code and delivery point. The USPS uses Postnet barcodes to automate the delivery of mail, however, discounts for bulk mail printed with the Postnet barcode are no longer available.
After the data is in the proper format for the function, the text is passed to the function and the result is a text string that the font is then applied to, to produce a proper barcode symbol. The functions are available in many font encoders to automatically format data to the font. When a font encoder cannot be utilized, it is recommended to access a database that contains the text string already formatted for the font. The Word mail-merge example included in this package works in this manner; a merge field in Word is linked to a column in Excel that contains the text string formatted for the font.
Postal Barcode Printing and Font Size
After the data is formatted to the USPS font and the appropriate font has been selected, it will display and print properly. The font size of 12 points should be used when printing all Intelligent Mail, Postnet and Planet barcodes. FIM symbols should be printed with a font size of 36 points. The Code 128 font used for GS1-128 should be printed at 16 points for USPS Special Services. More information about the sizing of fonts is provided in the Font Specifications.
IDAutomation suggests printing USPS fonts at the recommended point sizes specified in this section. When TrueType, PostScript or OpenType fonts are used, the size may be further adjusted by changing the font point size. For example, to print the 12-point Postnet barcode font slightly wider, increase the font size to 12.1 points.
IMb, Postnet & Planet Font Specifications
|Parameter||Approximate Font Dimensions at 12 Points||USPS Specification Tolerances|
|X Dimension (width of bars)||.017"||.015" - .025"|
|Width of space between bars||.026"||.012" - .040"|
|Full vertical size of Intelligent Mail||.135"||.125" - .165"|
|Vertical size of Intelligent Mail tracker||.041"||.039" - .057"|
|Height of Postnet short bar||.051"||.040" - .060"|
|Height of Postnet tall bar||.126"||.115" - .135"|
|Number of bars per inch||23||22 - 24|
|Font Name||Point Size||CPI||ANSI Size|
|Parameter||Approximate Font Dimensions at 16 pt||USPS Dimension Standards|
|X Dimension||.0135"||.013" - .020"|
|Height of bars||.75"||.75" - .80"|
|Parameter||Approximate Font Dimensions at 21 pt|
|Height of bars||1"|
|Implementation||Font Name||Font Encoder Function|
or IDAutomation_Uni_OneCode() **
|Code 128 Barcode||IDAutomationC128L||Code128()|
* Fonts ending with N1 or N2 signify different narrow intensities:
- n1 is a narrow-version font that generates the smallest possible barcode allowed by the specification, which is 24 bars per inch and a narrow bar width of .015 inches.
- n2 is an extra narrow-version font also produces 24 bars per inch but with the bars narrowed by an additional 10%. This font may be used with inkjet printers or others that print much darker than normal.
** Intelligent Mail barcode fonts are currently supported by Feature Level 7 or greater font encoder tools such as the Crystal Reports UFL, Microsoft VBA for Excel and Access and the Windows DLL. All OneCode() and IntelligentMail() encoding methods are identical and may be used interchangeably.
Intelligent Mail (IMb) barcodes may be created from IDAutomation's fonts and font encoder tools, as well as other encoders, such as the encoders provided by the US Postal Service. To accommodate both types of encoding, each 4-State symbol element is positioned at two character locations within the IDAutomationIMB font according to the following table:
|4CB Symbol Element||Character Locations|
|Full Bar||F, p|
The USPS uses uppercase letters for encoding while IDAutomation font encoders use lower case letters. The lower case letters used to provide complete compatibility with the IDAutomation Universal Barcode Font, which allows generation of Intelligent Mail, Postnet and Planet, as well as Code 128, Code 39 and Interleaved 2 of 5 barcode symbols from a single font.