Aztec Barcode Overview
The IDAutomation Aztec Barcode Font and Encoder is a collection of components
that generate Aztec barcode symbols with fonts and graphics.
Aztec is an area-efficient two-dimensional (2D) barcode symbology capable of
encoding large amounts of data. The data encoded may include alphabetic characters,
numbers, text and actual bytes of data, including extended types, Unicode characters,
and small pictures. IDAutomation recommends limiting the data encoded in each symbol
to 800 characters or less if possible because many barcode scanners do not decode
The encoding and decoding process of the Aztec symbology is very complex. To
print Aztec barcodes as a font, the encoded data must first be formatted with one
Aztec Font Encoders. The encoder will return a text string, that when combined
with the 2D font, will create a proper Aztec symbol. The example in Figure 1 encodes
the text of "IDAUTOMATION Aztec Font and Encoder".
Figure 1. Example of the 2-step process used to create Aztec symbols
from a font.
Step 1: The "matrix" of characters is obtained from any of the Aztec
||Step 2: The Aztec symbol is created by applying the
2D font to the matrix of characters:
Aztec Barcode Features
In addition to the advantages mentioned above, the following features are provided
in this barcode font package:
- Compatible with many development environments including Java, Visual Studio,
Xamarin and Crystal Reports 9 and above.
- Custom tilde functions allow easy methods of encoding tabs and returns between fields in a single symbol using ~d??? where ??? is the 3 digit ASCII code. Encoders updated on or after 2020 contain the following additional functionality:
~1 encodes the FNC 1, necessary to create GS1 symbols.
~m?? calculates a MOD10 check character.
- GS1 FNC and UTF-8 encoding supported in encoders for .NET Standard & .NET Core assemblies (signed with SHA256), C# Source Code, Crystal Reports, VB.NET Source Code, SSRS, VBA for Excel and Access.
- The COM DLL was created in C++ ATL and has no dependencies.
- The source code for any single encoder may be provided with the purchase of the Unlimited Developer License.
- With a purchase of the Developer License or above, additional encoders are provided as detailed in the chart below and Web Fonts
are included in WOFF, EOT and SVG formats.
Multiple Encoders Provided
Feature Comparison of
both font encoders and graphic encoders in these packages. Font encoders return
a text string, that when printed or displayed with the Aztec barcode font, create
the Aztec symbol, as demonstrated in the
Encoder Tutorial. The featured chart below lists the encoders provided with
the software packages.
Additional features and implementation tutorials are provided in the